Bo Obama here with a warning to all my fans about those cute, stuffed toys that may show up under the tree on Christmas morning. We all know how kids love stuffed toys, but so do we dogs. We find it an irresistible challenge to see how quickly we can rip them open, pull the stuffing out, and chow down!
Did you know that the stuffing used in your kid's plush toys contains dangerous, flame retardant chemicals? Well, they do! These chemicals are toxic to dogs and kids so keep the cuddly critters away from your pets and, for your children's sake, check them daily for rips and tears!
Check the info below for the steps to take should you ever suspect that your pet has been poisoned.
Gotta run! Playing some rainy-day, inside games with the girls!
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, do the following:
Take samples of the poison
If possible, take 30 to 60 seconds to collect a sample of the poisonous material and the poison product container if you have it. If your dog vomits, also collect a sample of the vomit in a sealable plastic bag.
Go to the vet or call poison control
If your dog's having seizures, is unconscious or losing consciousness, or is having difficulty breathing, take her to your local vet or emergency clinic right away. If possible, phone ahead to let them know you're coming.
If your dog doesn't need immediate medical attention, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for a $60 consultation fee. The telephone number is (888) 426-4435. Be ready with the following info:
- the breed, age, sex, and weight of your dog
- your dog's symptoms
- what the poison is (if known), how much your dog ingested, and how long ago